Sector Expert Consultation on Gender
Sector Expert Consultation on ‘Gender’ was held on 15th November 2017 at Hotel Nagarjuna Grand, Guntur. A total number of 17 experts who participated in the consultation.
The consultation included experts from Government agencies and non-government organizations like officers from Women and Child Welfare Department, AP, All India Democratic Women's Association (AIDWA), Vasavya Mahila Mandal, Advocates, Professor of Law etc.
Key participants for the consultation included C.S. Rama Lakshmi IFS (Retd), G.Uma, District President, AIDWA, Dr. B.Keerthi, Technical Support Manager, Vasavya Mahila Mandal, Vijayawada, Rama Devi, Specialist Gender, Women and Child Welfare Department, AP, Narra Srinivasa Rao, General Secretary, All India Lawyers Union, etc.
All stakeholders contributed to meaningful discussions on the solutions to address challenges in Gender aspect in the state of Andhra Pradesh. 35 interventions were identified after a thorough review. The list of interventions is presented below.
- Promoting violence-free environment
- Addressing sex-selective abortion by imposing strict regulation on scanning centers
- Address barriers faced by women
- Addressing sexual harassment in workplaces by having a cell at Police Dept.
- Involve men in the movement against domestic abuse
- Self-defence training to be provided,
- Providing sanitary napkins at schools to encourage girls school attendance
- remove discrimination
- Innovative low-cost social interventions for improving nutrition of girls and women
- Gender sensitization workshops for police department officials
- Rescue/care homes for women
- Enhance educational outcomes for women and girls by prioritizing school retention and quality education for girls.
- Calculate cost of social trauma for women - psychological and physical abuse
- Training in martial arts should be given to women and girls
- Support public and private sector organizations to eliminate discrimination against women in their organizations.
- Promotion and education around girl child
- Installation of CC cameras and proper lighting at nights to ensure women’s safety
- Incorporate life skills training as part of the education curriculum
- inter-sectoral coordination to tackle child marriages
- Gender budgeting focus on dissemination of funds at panchayat level
- Provide women coordinators with legal knowledge at police stations to help in cases registered by women
- Improve financial literacy
- Capacity building of women PRI members on gender issues
- Introducing Tracking systems at village/grassroots level to identify and address trafficking of women and children
- Support women and girls to learn entrepreneurship vocation skills.
- Vocational education for women
- Promote community participation to address girls enrolment into schools
- Improve wages, working conditions, and safety
- Supply Fortified foods at Anganwadis by local communities using innovative technology
- Equal access for women to basic transport and energy infrastructure can lead to increased economic activity by women.
- Political empowerment of women
- Increasing basket of choices with injectables and POPs
- Expand access to SRH and family planning
- Mahila mitra - social initiative
- Payments conditional on girls remaining unmarried
List of Participants
- B.Vasanthi, Legal Cum Probation Officer, District Child Protection Unit, Guntur
- C.S.Rama Lakshmi IFS, Plott No:177 Prashasan Nagar, Jubilee Hills, Hyderabad
- C.Vanalakshmi, AIDMA, Guntur
- D.Anupama, Legal Professional, Vasavya Mahila Mandali, Vijayawada
- Dr.B.Keerthi, Technical Support Manager, Vasavya Mahila Mandali, Vijayawada
- Dr.M.Syamala, Academic Counselor in Economics, Centre for Distance Education, Acharya Nagarjuna University, Guntur
- Dr.Saraswathi Raju Iyer, Coordinator of Soc & S W Dept, Acharya Nagarjuna University, Guntur
- G.Revathi, Programme Manager for Women & Child Programme, Vasavya Mahila Mandali, Vijayawada
- G.Uma, District President, AIDMA
- K.Padma, Legal Advisor, D V Act
- L.Jaya Sree, Professor of Law, Acharya Nagarjuna University, Guntur
- M.Ramadevi, District Secretary, AIDMA
- M.Upendra Rao, Advocate
- Narra Srinivasa Rao, Advocate General Secretary, All India Lawers Union
- P.Guruprasad, Professor, VVIT, Nambur
- S.Ramadevi, Specialist Gender, WD&CW Dept
- V.Steken Daniel, Individual Specialist, WD&CW