Sector Expert Consultation on Health: Access to Healthcare , Maternal & Child Health
On 25th Oct 2017, the sector expert consultation on Health was held at Hotel Fortune Murali Park, Vijayawada. A total of 27 experts participated in the consultation.
The consultation included experts from Government agencies like Andhra Pradesh Vaidya Vidhana Parishad (APVVP); Director of Health, GoAP; MEPMA; Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan; Medical Officer, State Senior Coordinator for School Health; Indian Medical Association; Chairperson, Dean - Research and Research Officer from IIHMR University, Jaipur; Health Consultants from UNICEF; Senior faculty from Siddhartha Medical College; researchers from Azim Premji University, Bengaluru, and private sector stakeholders from hospitals including Ramesh Hospital etc.
Key participants included: Dr. Gupta -Chairman, IIHMR University, Jaipur; Dr. Mangal, Dean - Research, IIHMR University Jaipur, Dr. Reddy, Joint Commissioner, APVVP; Dr. Geetha Prasadini, Addl. Director Non-Communicable Diseases, GoAP; Dr. MSC Bose, President Indian Medical Association; Dr. Sridhar Reddy, Red Cross Society, Vijayawada; Dr. Kumar, State Consultant – Nutrition, UNICEF; Professor Shreelata Rao Seshadri, Azim Premji University, Bengaluru etc.
The Sector Expert Consultation on Access to Healthcare & Maternal and Child health came up with a list of 29 interventions based on an informed dialogue amongst the participants. The complete list can be found below.
Access to Healthcare & Maternal and Child Health
- Antenatal care, skilled birth attendants and institutional delivery expansion through Janani Suraksha Yojana
- Specific solutions for tribal areas (like access), rural areas and urban areas
- Controlling Anaemia for checking high MMR
- Open Defecation Free environment
- Inadequate manpower especially at CEMONC and BEMONC.
- Improve screening and Expand vaccination
- Encouraging and educating girls
- Inter-departmental coordination/convergence to improve the awareness
- Referral management missing in rural and tribal areas.
- Micro planning for areas where MMR is high. (Available, Accessible, Affordable & Acceptable)
- Linkage between strengthening of adolescent health and maternal health
- Setting up of Special New-born Care Units (SNCUs)
- Data sets required for programme planning
- Continuous capacity building of medical staff
- Improve health infrastructure (blood banks, ambulance networks, public health facilities)
- Monitoring Ante-Natal check-ups
- Empowering the role of Village Health and Sanitation Committees (VHSC) at Panchayats
- Emergency services just for MCH care
- Access to portable water
- Institutionalized follow up mechanisms by doctors.
- Reducing the rates of C-Sections
- Changing behaviour of the people by increasing awareness
- Checking quackery/unqualified medical practitioners.
- Preventive medicine and Medical Care should be divided
- Expand health insurance (government run scheme to supplement ArogyaShri)
- Setting up of mobile medical units (MMUs) for basic primary health care and prevention and screening.
- Political commitment for encouraging institutional deliveries
- Sanitation of hospitals and health centres
- Providing spirulina to pregnant women
List of Participants
- A.V.Mohan Prasad, GM, Ramesh Hospitals, Vijayawada
- C.S.R.Prasad Rai, Rtd Professor, AP Private Hospitals & Nursing homes Association
- D.N.Murthy, State Senior Coordinator, School Health, TWD
- D.Suneel Babu, Consultant, Tata Trusts
- Dr.A.Sridhar Reddy, Chairman, Dr Sridhar Oral Health Foundation, Vijayawada
- Dr.Anuj.Mundra, State Consultant, Neomatal and Child Health, UNICEF
- Dr.Diya krishnan Mangal, Dean Research, IIHMR University, jaipur
- Dr.J.L.Reddy, Joint Commissioner, APVVP
- Dr.K.S.Karuna Murthy MD, Gen Secretary Vice President, IMA, IPHA, NSS
- Dr.M.Venugopalakrishnan, Medical Officer, Ashwin, DM&HO, State Govt
- Dr.Neeraj Sharma, Research Officer, IIHMR University, jaipur
- Dr.P.V.Madhusudana Sharma, ENT Consultant, AP Private Hospitals & Nursing homes Association
- Dr.R.Purnamma, Associate Professor, Dept. of Community Medicine, Sidhartha Medical College, Vijayawada
- Dr.Rajesh Kumar, State Consultant - Nutrition, UNICEF
- Dr.Ramesh Babu MD, Ramesh Hospitals, Vijayawada
- Dr.S.D.Gupta, Chairman, IIHMR University, jaipur
- Dr.Subhash Chandra Bose M, President Indian Medical Association Vijayawada, Medical Director Global Super Speciality Hospital
- Dr.Sudrashan karupti, GM. Admin, Ramesh Hospitals, Vijayawada
- Dr.V.Geetha Prasadini, Addl. Director NCD, Directorate of Public Health & Family Welfare
- G.Priyanka, State School Health Consultant, SSA
- K.Rani, Technical Expert HN&SS, MEPMA. Krishna Dist
- Madhumathi Kosaraju, Internal Medicine, Ramesh Hospitals, Vijayawada
- N.N V. Kanaka Durga, Technical Expert HN&SS, MEPMA VMC
- N.N.R.Sreenivas, State Mission Coordinator, MEPMA
- Ramanaiah Dega, Program Manager, Tata Trusts
- Shreelata Rao Seshadri, Professor, Azim Premji University
- Uma shankar, State - RMNCH 101, UNICEF